Skip to main content
What’s important during this life stage?
- Semen quality
- Boar productivity
- Boar infertility and reduced semen quality: Boars that get stressed will produce less sperm per ejaculate.
- Heat stress: Heat stress can cause negative issues with semen quality, resulting in ejaculates with an increased number of abnormal cells.
- Mycotoxins in feed: Mycotoxins in feed cause detrimental health challenges that affect boar productivity and semen quality.
Tips for maximizing health and performance:
- Provide antioxidants and minerals that are better absorbed in order to increase mineral reserves.
- Overall semen quality can decrease due to seasonal and temperature effects, especially during the summer months. Equip barns with cool cells, fans, sprinklers or other cooling devices.
- Regularly test feed for mycotoxins.
- Implement a sound biosecurity program to protect the health status of the boar herd.