Aquaculture nutritionists and industry heads join forces at Alltech's 2nd European Aquaculture Meeting
(Dunboyne, Ireland) - Aquaculture nutritionists and industry heads joined forces to address ways to apply new feed solutions to address the most pressing issues facing fish farming globally. Alltech's 2nd European Aquaculture Meeting, held at the company's Bioscience Centre in Ireland on Tuesday 30th November 2004, attracted 33 delegates from Europe's top aquaculture companies.
Aidan Connolly, Alltech's Vice President for Europe opened the meeting and guest speakers included:
- Dr. Birger Svihus, of the university of Norway, spoke on nutritional and processing challenges when replacing fish meal by vegetable and microbial protein sources in fish feed.
- Dr. Peter Spring presented the mode of action and most recent experience and data in aquaculture.
- Dr. Jose Luis Gonzalez Vecin, Scottish Association for Marine Science, examined Nucleotides and fish.
- Dan Fegan, Alltech Thailand, showed recent aquaculture results with NuPro(TM).
- Dr. Peter Surai, Head of Antioxidant Research at Alltech UK, gave a presentation on the role of organic minerals in modern aquaculture production.
- Prof. Simon Davies, Plymouth University, spoke about recent aquaculture results with Sel-Plex? and Bioplex?.
- Dr. Karina Horgan, Senior Research Scientist, Alltech gave a presentation on manufacturing, defining and controlling the production of organic minerals.
- Dr. Bruce Manning, Catfish Nutrition, USA, talked about the problems of mycotoxins in aqua production.
'As the Aquaculture industry continues to grow, we believe that discussions and events such as this one brings very practical ideas and solutions directly to the people at the forefront,' said Aidan Connolly. 'The enthusiasm and encouragement we have received at this, our second event, tells us even more so that people are hungry for knowledge and open to novel solutions to bring them forward in the industry. This will continue to be an annual industry event.'