Alltech's third Bioscience Center opens in Thailand
[Bangkok, Thailand] -- As a part of its global development and commitment to the emerging Asia-Pacific region, Alltech has opened its third Bioscience Center in Bangkok, Thailand. The official opening took place on September 15, 2006 at the Thailand Science Park Convention Center, Patumthani, Thailand, and was formally opened by Dr. Morakot Tanticharoen, the Director of the National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC); Dr. Karl Dawson, Alltech's Director of Worldwide Research, and Dr. Richard Chong, General Manager, Alltech Thailand.
"The Bioscience Center in Thailand will enable our feed industry professionals to provide faster and more efficient local services in terms of research and development," said Dr. Pearse Lyons, president of Alltech.
Activities at the new center will be led by Dr. Keith Filer, Research Manager. Since 1997, Filer has been a research scientist at Alltech's Bioscience Center in Kentucky. He brings with him significant knowledge of enzyme technology, fermentation chemistry and biochemistry, as well as knowledge of solid state fermentation.
"The new laboratory will be committed to an active research program focused on the use of regionally important substrates and by-products for use in solid state fermentation enzyme production and applications. These new technologies promise to revolutionize feed formulation strategies around the world by providing new, inexpensive ingredients for swine and poultry diets," said Dawson.
The center will also provide technical laboratory support for research activities, quality control assurance, and the analytical services associated with routine product comparisons and applications. The laboratory will coordinate communications and help manage all internal and external research activities in the region, with specific emphasis on external research projects at other nearby research institutions. It will also play a critical role in developing high quality field demonstration projects and sponsored student-related activities. The Bioscience Center will initially employ five to eight people. This is Alltech's third global bioscience center. The other centers are located in the USA and Ireland.
Alltech hosted a seminar at the opening. Guest speakers and topics included:
- Alltech's fastest growing region: Asia-Pacific - Dr. Richard Chong, General Manager - Alltech Thailand.
- Alltech's global research program: Delivering on the nutrigenomics challenge - Dr. Karl Dawson, Director of Worldwide Research, Alltech.
- The relationship between the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) and Alltech - Dr. Janekrishna Kanatharana - The Director of Thailand Science Park.
- NuPro: A fermentation-derived protein- Dr. Darryl D'Souza - Asia Pacific Technical Manager - Pigs
- Increasing digestibility with a natural enzyme complex: SSF - Dr. Keith Filer, Asia-Pacific research manager, Alltech.
- Alltech's Aquaculture program - Mr. Dan Fegan, Regional Technical Manager, Aquaculture, Alltech
The laboratory will be housed in the Thailand Science Park near Thammasat University-Rangsit Campus and the Asian Institute of Technology in Pathumthani Province north of Bangkok.
For further information log onto www.alltech.com or contact your local representative.