1 - General
- 1.1 The Young Scientist Program is established by Alltech, Incorporated, and shall be managed pursuant to the requirements specified herein.
- 1.2 The Young Scientist Program (hereafter “Program”) is created to encourage research and development by talented undergraduate and graduate students in the disciplines of animal science, dairy science, veterinary science, agronomy, biological sciences, or other related disciplines.
- 1.3 The Program should serve to benefit these future professionals while simultaneously strengthening the relationship between the industry and educational institutions.
- 1.4 Undergraduate and graduate students in the disciplines of animal science, dairy science, veterinary science, agronomy, biological sciences, or other related disciplines are eligible for participation.
- 1.5 Participation by Alltech employees, contractors, or their immediate family members is prohibited. For the purpose of award regulations, immediate family members are defined as the spouse, child, parent, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, or half sister, whether or not they reside in the same household.
2 - Award Categories
- 2.1 The award will be given in two categories: Undergraduate and Graduate.
- 2.2 Undergraduates are defined as those students currently enrolled in a university bachelor degree program or a college program in the disciplines of animal science, dairy science, veterinary science, agronomy, biological sciences, or other related areas of study.
- 2.3 Graduates are defined as postgraduate students currently enrolled in a Masters or Doctoral program in the disciplines of animal science, dairy science, veterinary science, agronomy, biological sciences, or other related areas of study.
- 2.4 If you have any questions about your eligibility, please email email@example.com.
3 - Process of Selection
3.1 Entrants shall be organized by the country or region of the educational institution at which they are enrolled.
3.2 Regional Level
- A - Entrants shall submit their applications to a panel of judges selected at Alltech’s discretion.
- B - Regions will be determined by Alltech based on the number of entries received.
- C - Top regional winners will be eligible for participation in the global competition.
3.3 Global Level
- A - The winning entrant from each regional competition will be eligible for participation in the global competition to be held at Alltech’s Global Headquarters in Kentucky, USA.
- B - At this level, entrants must prepare an oral presentation based on their original paper topic.
4 - Requirements
4.1 Regional Phase
- A - Entrants must write a scientific paper or literature review based on a pre-approved topic. Topics may be provided on the website at alltech.com. Additional topics may be submitted for approval to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- B - The paper submitted must be an original and unpublished work of the entrant only.
- C - The paper must include a summary with a maximum of 250 (two hundred and fifty) words.
- D – Undergraduate papers should be 3000-3500 words. Graduate papers must be 3000-5000. The summary and references are not included in this total. Papers that continue beyond the given word limit may not be considered.
- E - The paper must be pasted into the template provided by Alltech, found on the Young Scientist website.
4.2 Global Phase
- A - The paper submitted must be translated into English.
- A - Each of the top 3 regional finalist winners must appear before a judging panel at Alltech’s Global Headquarters to present his/her work and participate in a question and answer session.
- B - Presentations should be based on the original paper submitted for the competition. Sound experimental design and interpretation are essential. Presentations must be made using Microsoft PowerPoint® software.
- C - Entrants must be prepared to present their research in English or with the assistance of an Alltech provided translator.
- D - A virtual session performed via videoconference or similar means may be allowed in extenuating circumstances.
4.3 Papers must be submitted in Microsoft Word format via an online form available at alltech.com.
4.4 Complete entries for the regional level must be received by 11:59 PM EST on December 31. Entries may be declared invalid if they are late, ineligible, or incomplete.
5 - Prizes
5.1 Undergraduate Category
A - Three (3) entrants from each group at the regional phase and three (3) entrants at the global phase shall be awarded prizes.
- Phase 1 – Regional
- 1st Place: $1000 USD
- 2nd Place: $500 USD
- 3rd Place: $300 USD
- Phase 2 - Global
5.2 Graduate Category
A - Three (3) entrants at the regional phase and three (3) entrants from the global phase will be awarded prizes.
- Phase 1 - Regional
- 1st Place: $2000 USD
- 2nd Place: $1000 USD
- 3rd Place: $600 USD
- Phase 2 - Global
5.3 Prizes must be accepted as awarded and may not be transferred, substituted, or redeemed for cash.
5.4 Winners are responsible for any expenses not listed above.
5.5 The selected regional finalists are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documentation.
5.6 Winning entrants must provide a valid national ID number for prize payment.
5.7 Selected regional finalist winners must be present at Alltech’s Symposium in May to be eligible for any prizes awarded at the global level.
6 - Announcements of the Results
6.1 Regional results will be announced by Alltech on or about the beginning of March.
6.2 Top 3 regional winners will be announced by Alltech on or about the end of March.
6.3 The global winner’s prize will be awarded at Alltech’s Symposium in May.
6.4 Regional and global winners will be listed on Alltech’s website.
6.5 Each entrant is responsible for maintaining updated contact information with Alltech.
6.6 The determination of the winners is final and binding.
7 - Disclosures
Alltech encourages entrants to submit their papers to appropriate journals of their choice after the competition completion date.
7.1 No materials submitted to Alltech will be returned. Alltech reserves the right to publish portions of the abstract paper and use quotes from authors’ presentations for promotional and educational purposes.
7.2 By participating in this program, entrants grant Alltech the right to use their name, likeness, and submitted materials for promotional and educational purposes.
7.3 Alltech reserves the right to require proof of identity and/or eligibility. Failure to provide such proof may result in disqualification. Alltech has the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any entrant who supplies false, incomplete, inaccurate, or misleading information at any stage. Entrants are solely responsible for any legal action regarding the originality of their work and/or other false/misleading information submitted in the course of this program.
7.4 Alltech reserves the right to modify, cancel, suspend, and/or terminate this program at any time and for any reason without prior notice.
7.5 In the event of a discrepancy between the English language rules and the non-English language rules, the English rules shall prevail.
7.6 Entry into this program constitutes acceptance of these rules and acknowledgment of Alltech’s sole right to decide all matters related to this program.